Children with autism have a consistent biomedical profile; that is, their biochemistry is similar. These differences in biochemistry can cause changes in a child’s behavior, and lead to a diagnosis of autism. Traditional doctors are taught that there is no treatment for autism; don’t believe this! Autism is medical, and there ARE interventions available that will help your child feel better. When they feel better, they behave better!
Using lab testing, Dr McGowin works to find the root of the problem. Blood draws can be challenging for many children. Because of this, Dr. McGowin has many options to make the process easier for your child. She has access to testing that uses urine, stool, and even blood spots from a finger-prick. Dr McGowin analyzes the child’s labs, then designs an individualized, comprehensive treatment plan. She uses supplements, homeopathy and diet to address a child’s individual needs.
Dr McGowin has experience with very complex cases. Patients come from all over the United States to consult with her!
Although autism is her passion and expertise, Dr McGowin does extensive work with any patient who struggles with digestive issues, food sensitivities, depression, chronic pain, infertility and sleep issues. Using focused lab testing, she works to uncover the root of the problem and address it naturally, using diet and supplements.
Chiropractic is a safe, effective health resource for people of all ages. Babies benefit from chiropractic, too! Birth is hard for both mom and baby. Gentle adjustments help restore and maintain spinal alignment, which will allow for proper development. Babies who get adjusted often sleep better and have fewer digestive issues. Dr. Sonia has additional education and training in evaluating and addressing complex issues like head shape challenges, torticollis, as well as tongue and lip tie. Lots of childhood conditions such as ear infections, allergies, colic, constipation and reflux respond favorably to gentle chiropractic adjustments.
Regular chiropractic is an integral part of the prenatal and postpartum care of pregnancy. It is a safe way to help moms navigate the many changes her body experiences. Women who get prenatal chiropractic care often report easier and less complicated labors and deliveries.
From neck pain, to low back pain to sciatica, Dr. Sonia has strategies to relieve your pain.
If you need a physical for your child for school, sports or scouts, give us a call!
The IonCleanse by AMD helps the body detoxify through the healing power of ions. Most children with autism or other developmental issues, have impaired detox pathways. Using the IonCleanse is safe, non-invasive and relaxing, but don’t let that fool you! It’s a powerful tool, and should be the first step in your recovery journey. Dr McGowin offers IonCleanse sessions at her office in Jefferson City, Missouri. Learn more at www.amajordifference.com.
Genetic SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) are a hot topic right now! Dr McGowin can help you make sense of this complicated information using the Methyl Genetic Nutrition Analysis. This state of the art analysis explains your child’s genetic mutations, and guides Dr. McGowin to make supplement recommendations based on the genetic information.
Covenant is a full service family wellness center! Expecting moms can access skilled chiropractic care to support them through pregnancy and delivery, as well as lactation consultation services. We have an IBCLC on staff who is highly qualified to help with every lactation issue. Prenatal appointments are very important to prepare for baby’s birth; postpartum appointments are valuable to establish a good breastfeeding relationship, educate on pumping as well as mom’s return to work. Even moms who choose not to nurse will benefit from lactation services as they navigate those issues after giving birth. We are here to support mothers and their partners whatever their choices are around lactation. These services are offered in a holistic, private and supportive environment.
- Therapeutic Massage – 60 or 90 minutes.Therapeutic massage incorporates techniques from multiple modalities including Swedish Massage, Trigger Point Therapy, Myofascial Release, and Contrast Therapy; this gives the added benefits of certain aspects of all these techniques in one seamlessly integrated massage.
- Deep Tissue Massage – 60 or 90 minutes. Deep Tissue Massage utilizes concentrated, slower movements aimed at reaching and realigning areas of chronic pain and tension in deeper layers of muscle and fascia. It is highly beneficial for lower back pain, limited mobility, repetitive strain injury, fibromyalgia, sciatica pain, postural issues.
- Prenatal Chair Massage – 30 minutes. A chair massage while expecting is a benefit to both mother and child. Extremely safe and easy, it alleviates muscle pains and cramps, reduces the baby’s stress hormones by lowering stress and anxiety levels in the mother, it also helps with swelling of joints and often improves quality of sleep.
- Foot Reflexology – 30 minutes. Reflexology works by stimulating “reflex” areas on the feet that correspond to organs in the body. Reflexology promotes enhanced relaxation, increased circulation, boosts the immune system, reduces pain and is effective in soothing symptoms such as stress and anxiety.
- CranioSacral Massage – 30 minutes. This 30 minute session uses specific techniques to relieve stress and compression in the head, neck, and shoulders. It reduces restrictions in the muscles and nerves, restores mobility, reduces stress and tension, soothes pain, and is useful for addressing chronic migraines.
Cranial Sacral Therapy (CST) is a gentle, hands-on method of treating the membranes and cerebral spinal fluid that surrounds and protect the brain and spinal cord. This treatment assists the self-corrective nature of the nervous system by freeing up tight structures, thus leading to reduced pain and stress, strengthening the immune system recovery, improving information movement through the nerve channels and enhancing health well-being. Because it is so gentle, CST has proven affective for people of all ages, for all kinds of problems affecting the nervous system. Covenant Chiropractic & Wellness utilizes CranialSacral Therapy in the treatment of Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) and patients have experienced profound results in the use of this treatment.
In a recent international research study on the benefits of CST with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
- A majority of participants reported measurable changes being to emerge with 1 to 5 sessions after beginning CST.
- The top three areas of evaluated change in behavior following CST were improved overall behavior, more ability to manage sensory reactions, and improved social functioning.
- Participants also reported improvements ion cognitive skills, communication, emotional stability, and biological functions.
CST has been reported in research to help alleviate or diminish the following:
- Sleep disturbance, shallow breathing
- Irritability, erratic and repetitive behaviors
- Sensory overload, tantrums, anxiety and fight or flight reactions
- Head hanging and other self-abusive mutilation
- Self-stimulation behaviors-toe walking, hand flapping and noise making
- Aggression and intense sensory seeking
Our CranialSacral therapist, Jackie Steuber, is a licensed physical therapist and has added certifications specifically in CranialSacral Therapy. She has over a decade of experience in this therapeutic approach and is highly sought out by families all across mid-Missouri. Jackie works in partnership with Dr. Sonia McGowin to ensure a comprehensive treatment protocol is created to address each patients’ specific needs. We are sure you will find Jackie to an excellent resource for you and your family as you seek to make program on your road to recovery.
Call our office to schedule a Cranial Sacral Therapy assessment and determine if this therapy will be right for you or your family member.